GDPR Data Protection Policy
What data we collect and why
By joining the Scout Group, you agree that your personal information may be retained and used for the purposes of running the Scout Group. Such information will not be used for any other purpose. The personal information retained by the Scout Group may include:
- Your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address – to facilitate contact with you on Scout Group business.
- Details of Scout Group events and meetings that you attend, including details of payments made by you for such attendance. This is to enable the Group to complete event reconciliations.
- Details of Scout Group sections to which you are a member, including details of payments made by you for such subscriptions. This is to ensure your membership subscriptions are up to date and the Group has an accurate membership listing for that section.
As described above, the collection of Personal Information is for the purposes of the Group administration processes only and is therefore for the legitimate interests of the Scout Group as the Data Controller. Furthermore, the gathering of the above personal information is necessary in order for the Scout Group to effectively communicate events with Group members. You have a right to object on grounds relating to your particular situation. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for Members or email@example.com for Supporters.
How we collect your data
Your data is collected from your completed application form when joining the Scout Group. For members, this is by completing the Personal Information in OSM (Online Scout Manager). The data is collected and kept as part of the Section Membership list containing details on all Scout Group members.
When do we share your data and with whom?
The membership list is only shared with the Leaders in the Group and when specific information is required to be shared with external activity providers during Scouting events and activities.
Where we store your data
The membership lists are stored in the Online Scout Manager database which has its own GDPR Policy available at https://www.onlinescoutmanager.co.uk/security.html
How long do we keep your data for?
When a member leaves or moves on to another group, the details are deleted from the membership list effective from the end of the last term they were a member.
Know your rights
You have the right to ensure the data we hold is accurate, the right to see the data we hold on you and the right to delete your data as appropriate. Online Scout Manager has the ability for members to log on to the system to see their own data and to keep this up to date.
Right to Lodge a Complaint
In the event you consider our processing of your personal information not to be compliant with the applicable data protection laws, you can lodge a complaint:
- Directly with the group to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- With the competent data protection authority. The name and contact details of the Data Protection Authorities in the European Union can be found here.
Who is the data controller?
For the purposes of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the controller of your personal information is the Group Chairman, Chris Barrett.
In readiness for GDPR, the UK Scout Groups have taken the following actions:
- Updated the Data Privacy Statement on application forms and websites.
- Provided clear guidance and training to Group Sections on the following:
- Data handling
- Data retention
- Data transfer
- Search for “Regulation (EU) 2016/679: GDPR” online